[DeTomaso] Harmonic Balancer

Charles Engles cengles at cox.net
Sat Sep 13 21:04:41 EDT 2008

Dear Mike,

              Ah, yes,  the damaged damper syndrome.  I had one of those,
too.

              It is a pretty important, but pretty subtle piece of the
rotating engine mass.   It seems like it should be simple, as in "parts are
parts and dampers are dampers", but it is not necessarily so.

              Clearly, you need a new damper.  I have heard cautions against
the variable type (Rattler, etc), although some people have had good luck
with them.   The more serious builders use the standard style with a two
heavy rings separated by a rubber center.   There is a fair bit of science
and lab work to determine what weights and rubber density to use for
specific applications.   Conversely,  a "351C harmonic balancer" will not
work optimally in every 351C application.

               I would suggest that since you have a 377 stroker,  you might
call Dennis Quella and buy a harmonic balancer from him.   Alternatively,
you might contact BHJ  at    www.bhjdynamics.com   with your engine
specifics and see what they recommend.

               I have used a stock unit.   I have and am using DQ's Romac
balancer on one engine and I have a BHJ unit on the other.   The stock unit
is pretty modest in comparison.    Good luck and good balancing.

                                     Warmest regards,  Chuck Engles