[DeTomaso] electric fuel pump plumbing

Doug Braun doug at silicondesigns.com
Thu Sep 4 13:43:21 EDT 2008

Justin,

	I installed one of these inertia switches.  I got mine from Summit 12 years
ago but they no longer carry it.  It is perfect for shutting off an electric
fuel pump in the event of a crash.  http://www.kta-ev.com/catalog.html  Look
down the page for the heading "Inertia Safety Switch" and you'll see the
First Inertia brand # FSC1 listed for $55.

As for the fuel plumbing, I removed the metric drain plug from the bottom of
the tank and tapped it to standard 3/4" pipe thread which was so close to
the existing metric thread that the tapping was a breeze.  I then installed
the following components in the order listed below.  None of these
components hang down below the frame rails (the lowest components (fuel
filter & ball valve) have their lowest points about 1" above the bottom of
the frame rails).

NAPA- Weatherhead #3220x12x8 / Bushing, 3/4" NPT male to 1/2" NPT female
(Keeps fuel plumbing close to tank bottom for max ground clearance).

Pipe Elbow, Brass, 1/2' NPT male to 1/2" NPT female

Ball Valve, Brass, 1/2" NPT female-female, w/Stainless ball & Teflon seat
(This allows the fuel to be shut off for either security reasons or to clean
the fuel filter).

Earl's #923188 / Adaptor Fitting, 90 degree Forged, -8 Female AN to male 1/2
Swivel NPT

System-1 Fuel Filter, High-Flow Cleanable Stainless Steel screen, -8 AN Male
in & out.  (This filter is very free flowing and since it is ahead of the
pump, the pump sees clean fuel.  Since the filter is cleanable, you get to
easily see what particles are either in your gas our sloughing off from the
inside of your tank.)

Earl's #709109 / Fitting, 90 degree Bent Tube, -8 FML to 1/2 Hose Nipple

Hose, 1/2" ID Rubber Fuel & Vacuum (Passes through the narrow gap between
the diagonal frame member and the gas tank heat shield)

Edelman / Adaptor Fitting, Brass, 1'2" Hose Barb to 3/8 NPT Male (screwed
into fuel pump NPT Female inlet)

Insert your preferred fuel pump here, mounted on the lateral frame rail just
ahead of the gas tank and below the firewall.

Good luck,

Doug Braun
blue 73L #5505