[DeTomaso] In Asa Jay's Garage today, ZF and e-brake work.

Mad Dog Antenucci teampantera at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 2 11:29:56 EDT 2008

Msgt Laughton,

  Dawg proud of you. ;-]>
  See ya next month at Silver State!

  dawg

Asa Jay Laughton <asajay at asajay.com> wrote:
  I finished up safety wiring the ring gear in place last Saturday. I
took the whole day off yesterday so Sam and I could play with Lego, and
I mean... all day. So today was back to the garage.

I began soaking the cover gasket in water early, then went about
preparing other stuff for work. I removed the clutch pivot shaft so I
could inspect the bearings and clean and lube the shaft. Everything
looked good, the bearings were a little dark but moved smoothly. I
cleaned them up and then lubed with some Lubriplate, re-installed the
shaft and now it moves really smooth. Glad I did that. I took a quick
trip to my Dad's garage to change the throw out bearing. I picked one
up from Napa for about $22 and just had to press it on. It was a breeze
to press the old one off and the new one on. A little Lubriplate and it
nows moves smoothly as well.

Back to the ZF Cover, I took some brake cleaner and cleaned both mating
surfaces, then got the gasket. Once I mounted the cover it started
setting up pretty quick. I had a hard time getting the side washers in
place for the cross bolts. Seems to me they could have gone in without
the shims but since I kept track of where everything came out of, back
in they went. Eventually I got the whole cover on and torqued to about
12 ft.lbs. For now, the ZF is done. At some point in the future I'll
probably send it off to have it fully serviced.

Next I replaced the shifter shaft trunnion on the drivers side. With
all the rear suspension out, it was a breeze. The old one did not
appear to have been installed in-line with the shaft. This caused
uneven wear and tore the rubber prematurely. I got the new one lubed
and installed, and it all looks good now.

You can see photos of the new versus old clutch bearing, and the new
versus old trunnion here:
http://www.teampanteraracing.com/gallery2/v/asajay/pantera/zf/?g2_page=2

Now it was on to the e-brake cable. I had noted earlier how the plastic
cover appeared to be cracked in a few areas. Well it was ugly. One
nut, one cotter pin, one spring and it all came right out. Turns out
the cables were cracked in more than on place, and oily greasy dirt and
grime has been intruding. Photos at the bottom of this page:
http://www.teampanteraracing.com/gallery2/v/asajay/pantera/brakes/rearbrakes/?g2_page=2
and on this page:
http://www.teampanteraracing.com/gallery2/v/asajay/pantera/brakes/rearbrakes/?g2_page=3

I have a new cable coming in the next couple of days. I'll be glad to
install that one.

While I was in the area, I cleaned a bunch of grimy areas by using my
scraper. Turns out the original color of my car was white. Turns out
that tar-like undercoat comes off really easy if it's soaked in oil of
20 years. Generally I wanted to clean up the frame rails, get the dirt,
grime, grease, rocks, sand, etc. off. It just happens that a lot of
undercoat came with it. My plan now is to get some Engine Bright
degreaser, or some Simple Green and wash it all down to clean it up and
make it half-way pretty. Remember, I'm not in -restoration- mode yet, I
just want to get it back together and keep enjoying the drive.

I don't think I'm gonna make the Silver State race though. 16 days and
I'm still waiting for parts to arrive. If they manage to get here in
time, I could take the entire weekend before the race and make like I
was cramming for exams, but it's doubtful I'll make it. Yea, just
another slacker excuse I know.

Asa Jay

Asa Jay Laughton, MSgt, USAFR, Retired

& Shelley Marie