[DeTomaso] Connecting an antenna

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Sep 2 00:33:55 EDT 2008

In a message dated 9/1/08 21 20 12, davel at emspace.com writes:

> Anybody know how to get at the antenna in a windshield?
> 6143 has a bonded-in windshield labelled Viracon C-1335
> I'm on hold with a radio/media player install because I didn't want to
> make a hole for an antenna.
> Doh! Today I just noticed an antenna loop in my windshield, but I can't
> see any terminals or other way to get at it.

Those Hall Pantera windshields are notorious for their poor quality and
distortion, particularly at the edges.

They incorporate an FM radio antenna, which extends to the sides towards the
top of the screen, then drops down vertically in the center of the screen.
The two wires exit from the bottom of the windscreen but they are laughably
short, and very difficult to connect from what I've been told.

If the antenna wasn't connected when the windshield was installed, the only
way to do it (most likely) is to first remove it, then fish out the wires and
run them through the weatherstripping.

But really, if you're going to go through the trouble of removing it, I'd
just keep on removing it right into the dumpster, fit a quality windscreen, and a
conventional radio antenna of some sort. :>)

Dan Miller of San Diego Panteras is having a local windshield manufacturing
company tool up to produce Pantera windshields, using an original piece of
factory glass as the template.   They haven't made them yet, but reportedly they
will be of equal or greater quality compared to the factory glass, and will
cost substantially less due to the dollar/Euro thing plus shipping costs from
overseas.   I don't think he's considered the prospect of adding an antenna, but
it's probably quite simple to do, and it's not too late because they haven't
made 'em yet!

I'll ask him and see what he says?