[DeTomaso] Connecting an antenna

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Sep 2 00:58:43 EDT 2008

In a message dated 9/1/08 21 46 26, davel at emspace.com writes:

> $%$^$%&
> It's a good idea to prompt him though - it sure would have been handy.
> I'm kind of reluctant to remove a bond-in (never done one)
>
>>>Oh, you don't have the rubber gasket?   Do you have one of Hall's later
bonded-in windshields, with the big black band running across it?   I don't
really know much about those.

> and I can't spot any optical problems with it.
>
>>>The new glass might be better in that regard.   The old ones were filled
with distortion along the outer edges.   When driving down the road, the lines
along the shoulder would suddenly become wavy and distorted near the edge of
the windshield.   It was bad enough that it gave me a headache when I drove an
otherwise wonderful Pantera to Las Vegas one year.

> I guess I'll stall until Dan has a spec for his new ones.
> I thought I could get one of the transparent film, stick-on type, but no-one
> seems to sell them now.
>
>>>I think those went the way of the dodo bird.

An elegant solution is to mount a power antenna to the gas tank shield, in
the engine bay.   You can make a small hole in the engine cover screen, line it
with a rubber grommet, and when you turn on the radio, the antenna will power
up through the hole, just missing the back edge of the roof/decklid.   Very
nice!

See the latest POCA Profiles for a photo of just such a setup.