[DeTomaso] Hp difference between efi and webers

Paul - Home thedrol at pobox.com
Wed Oct 29 12:23:59 EDT 2008

I agree with everyone else's responses.  They will operate at similar
levels of peak power more dependent on tuning than on the system.

Based on what I've read, your peak horsepower with a big Holley will be
higher than with webers or IR EFI.  This is due to the air flow
limitations of the IR system.  With a Holley and a single plane manifold
you can pull the full CFM capability for all 4 butterflies on each
cylinder, while an IR manifold only sees the single butterfly.  I
believe a 48mm weber is rated at about 330CFM.  This maximum depends on
your engine build and won't show a difference with a stock 351C.

Of course in terms of everything else (drive-ability, mileage and
starting) a well tuned EFI system or a well tuned set of webers will be
better.

The question you need to answer is the relationship of price vs. peak
power vs. everyday usage.

Paul