[DeTomaso] NPC: The Mach 1 Project begins

George Luif mixmagic at aol.com
Wed Oct 22 20:02:06 EDT 2008

There were indeed two different engine versions in the Boss 429.
There was the S and the T version.  The first couple hundred had the S
version which had beefy rods with 1/2 inch rod bolts, different
pistons and a hydraulic cam.  Leave it to Ford to put a hydraulic cam
in the motor that would rev to 8 grand.  The T version had smaller
rods with 3/8 bolts and a solid cam.  The compression was 10.5 to 1 on
both versions.  I myself owned a 1969 S version that I sold cheaply
back in 1985 that indeed had the brass plate in the door.  These
motors were dogs in stock form due to the very low cam profile and
735cfm carb.  Figure that, the Boss 302 had a 780 carb.
I gained an easy 150 hp by installing a larger lift and duration cam
with an 850 carb with headers.  That woke up the sleeping giant.  That
car would melt 10 inch slicks quite easily.  I hated to get rid of it
but I had twins on the way.

George