[DeTomaso] Oil Leak

Trevor Fougere trevor at fougere.com
Sat Oct 18 16:11:19 EDT 2008

Back on the road again!

I decided not to move the fuel pump as the first step, and went in removing
the wire from the sender in order to see if I could get any kind of a wrench
on it.  I managed to get a small crescent wrench up against the base of the
sender to measure for wrench size, and damn! The sender and half the 3 part
brass fixture came tumbling out just from the slight contact I made.

The brass was sheared through at the edge of the barrel fitting.  So I was a
minute, a mile, a quick sprint from having it come off while driving.  50
PSI of oil shooting out that hole would have been, in a word, NASTY!

Due to the vibration (and probably heat) that contributed to this failure I
decided, after looking at the 5 inch "extention" proposed by Mike, to
relocate the sender to the firewall.  A small compression fitting with
ferrule on the block and a short run of plastic tubing out to another
compression fitting/ferrule  attached to the sender.  It works.no leak.and
it basically free of further concerns related to vibration.   Basic
plumbing, actually. Gauge is reading the same way it was before.

This picture shows the connection technique much better than the one I took.
The only difference being that my compression fixtures were straight and
sized for the block/sender, not an elbow.

http://www.fougere.com/pantera/images/ferrule.jpg

Cheers

Trevor