[DeTomaso] Slippage in 4th gear, Clutch recommendations?

ProvaMo.com Pantera007 at provamo.com
Mon Oct 13 13:58:27 EDT 2008

I first noticed my clutch slipping in 4th.  This started about 1.5 years ago.
I checked and adjusted the linkage as much as I could and it didn't improve.
I continued to drive it, gently, for another 5,000 miles or so.
Soon it was slipping in any gear, and I continued to drive it, knowing I had
limited time, and I preferred to work on other people's Panteras.

I finally scheduled to pull the ZF while talking with the "gang" during the dyno day
event.  I figured I would let them review the linkage and my cross shaft does
not move at all.  This may be the root cause, but regardless I know my clutch
material is all gone, as it is all over the inside of the bell housing.

I may have gotten about 50,000 miles from the clutch, which is probably not bad
from a Centerforce.  We are going to pull and inspect etc... in a couple of weeks.

Chuck

OK, Will seems to have summarized it for me - thanks
I have plenty of time so no rush
1. Will check if clutch is releasing properly and is properly adjusted
2. Will go stock and use a Pantera dealer for the parts, usually Larry is my source
3. I'm definately going to wait for Chuck to do his and put directions up on his site
    Chuck think about listing your parts too including seals, and source of parts
I don't race the car, except the occasional challenge so stock should be OK
Thanks to all - Bruce

PS don't know if it slips in 5th, never got there since I noticed slippage
Internal Virus Database is out of date.