[DeTomaso]  CLUTCH BASICS / Dick Ruzzin

Ken Green kenn_green at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 29 13:19:00 EST 2008

Reading a bit more in Tom Monroe's book, there is a table on page 71 with torque capacity vs pressure plate load in pounds, with curves for several disk diameters.  It looks like 2000 pounds is good for over 400 ft pounds.

But, Monroe also says that the centrifugal assist can more than double the force on the pressure plate in a Borg and Beck or Long pressure plate.  I don't think there is room inside the ZF bell housing for the weights which create the centrifugal assist, so just because someone with a Mustang can handle 500 ft-pounds thanks to the centrifugal assist doesn't mean a similar clutch clutch (minus the weights) can handle the same torque in a Pantera.

I don't recall that diaphragm pressure plates having a centrifugal assist, except for the weights on the inside ends of the fingers of the Centerforce pressure plate.  So, in general, diaphragm pressure plates maybe better suited for lower RPM engines making torque at lower RPM, and Borg and Beck or Long pressure plates better for high RPM, specifically drag race motors?  I don't recall most clutch manufactures getting into RPM range, but it seems like that is a major issue in pressure plate selection.

The worst case would seem to be supercharged engines making big torque at low to moderate RPM.  These probably require a twin disk clutch.  Maybe with a diaphragm pressure plate that doesn't rely on the centrifugal assist.

Ken