[DeTomaso]  CLUTCH BASICS / Dick Ruzzin

Ken Green kenn_green at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 29 12:52:06 EST 2008

I recently looked for a book on clutches, and all I could find was an HP book dated 1977 by Tom Monroe.  Surprisingly, it looks like not much has changed, other than the new twin disk clutches.  The pressure plates look the same as what we have now.  Used copies are available here for a couple bucks:

http://product.half.ebay.com/Clutch-Flywheel-Handbook_W0QQtgZinfoQQprZ1248067

It answers a lot of basic questions.

Regarding clutch torque capacity, one problem is that some pressure plates include a centrifugal effect which increase the force on the disk as RPM increases, so it is not a simple static problem.  It may be best to just find out what has worked for someone else, and copy them?  I think a lot of people have used the Centerforce Dual Friction clutch with fairly healthy Clevelands.  But I think Dennis (MD) had to upgrade when he started making more HP?  My recollection is that Bob Byers provided something that is still working.

I haven't found the manufactures to be particularly helpful.  They just want you to follow the company line and use the recommended off the shelf setup.  They don't seem to like to get into theory.  From working 24 years in aerospace, about 10% of the engineers did real analysis, and 90% just looked up what had sorta worked before.

Ken