[DeTomaso] Window Motors... The Elusive Aerostar versus the Plentiful Taurus

Chris Difani cdifani at pacbell.net
Wed Nov 19 02:52:25 EST 2008

Guys:

On the advice of one of our forum members, I'm writing to tell one, and all, about my new window motors, or window regulator motors, or whatever their proper name is.

While my original Detwhatevers worked okay, they were abominably slow... and I always had the wondering feeling as in "hmmm, I wonder if it's going to go all the way up this time?". So I looked thru all the various Pantera web sites, and read all that I could find on window motor conversions. While I liked the Aerostar conversion, when I went to eBay to find some, I didn't. In fact, in the two months I was looking, I never did come across a pair... or even a single, in good condition and at a reasonable cost.

So then I went to my local autoparts stores. Again, that 'reasonable cost' thing got in the way...big time. Which left me with the one window motor conversion that used Taurus motors. These didn't seem quite as nice as the Aerostar, but the big point in their favor was that they're plentiful. I winnowed thru the eBay vendors, and finally went with a guy in Texas. He gave me two Taurus window motors, for $34, which included shipping. The nice thing about this guy, is that he gave me the "rear" window motors. His logic was that the rear windows had much less use, when compared to the front window motors. I couldn't argue with that... He also tested the motors in a fixture, to assure that they met the 16 ft lbs of force standard, and he also checked their grease levels, and other longevity issues.

Long story short, I got my window motors  4 days after buying them, and they were in excellent condition. They were also two wire motors, the same as my Detwhatever French motors.

In fact the only problem was with the mounting. And once I got that sorted out, I now have one of the (if not THE) fastest window motors in Panteraland. They're also exceedingly quiet, and smooth. There's no motor whine, or motor gear noise at all. All you hear is the glass sliding up (or down) the tracks.

The Taurus motors were from the 1984 to 92 series of Taurii. If anyone wants further information; eBay vendor info, pictures of the converted regulator plate, finished installation, etc., email me direct, and I'll reply. It's going to be a day or two before I get the entire package together, so bear with me on time. I'll get you the info as soon as I get the digital pictures developed......

Chris

Chris Difani
'73 L #5829 "LITNNG"
The Electric Pantera