[DeTomaso] Pantera VS. Other collector car values

partsman912 at aol.com partsman912 at aol.com
Tue Nov 18 21:35:24 EST 2008

Mike Drew?,Thanks for your response

I have always found "bad reputations" in cars are way overblown . I still have people ask me why I like those expensive glorified Volkswagens called Porsches.While well known in the Porsche world I don't know? anyone else who owns a? DeTomaso. And frankly was a little concerned when I saw that most owners , vendors and web sites seemed to be full of the go fast , hot rod mentality. Now again I fully support their right to do whatever they want to their cars , and have done it myself . But? I think the Pantera is beyond the "40 Ford" that is worth more as a street rod than fully stock. I was a little shocked to see that this seems to be the underlying problem with Pantera's and their stature in the marketplace.

Case in point , mid year Corvettes 63-67 's. I just looked at one for my next project , it has been sitting for 25 years in the owners garage. It has all of the mods that someone in the 70's would do to a Vette to "improve it " .Wide fiberglass fender flares for larger wide oval belted tires, roll bar installed , extra tailights added , glassed in front spoiler with bumper removed and holes filled , later model seats , it goes on and on. Yet this is an honest solid car that needs a total restoration and I want to bring it back. Well you see where this is going , I can leave all the mods alone and I'll end up with a nice nostalgic 70's era Vette worth?23K or I?can?spend more and make it stock again and have a? collectable mid year Corvette worth 40K .

Eventually the Pantera will be discovered , but we can help it along through public awareness . After all , most people thought Porsche's were just hot rod Volkswagens.