[DeTomaso] Pantera Aerodynamics

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Nov 11 00:47:50 EST 2008

In a message dated 11/10/08 14 39 47, red3644 at hotmail.com writes:

> I assume I'm blowing air past the gasket at the front and pressurizing the
> trunk compartment as well
> as the area behind the radiator.  If you leave the trunk unlatched, it will
> rise up about 2 inches at speed
> balanced by pressure from below and airflow on top.

Although it's possible that your front trunk is pressurized, I wouldn't
necessarily bet on it.   The top of the hood is shaped exactly like an airplane
wing, and probably generates an enormous amount of lift all by itself; the trunk
isn't strong enough to resist deformation at those speeds.   You could try
adding material to the front trunk weatherstripping (that is, adding another
layer of stick-on weatherstripping on the top to ensure a good seal with the hood)
and see what happens?

Some vendor's carbon fiber units are often much, much worse in this regard.
Even vented carbon fiber hoods aren't strong enough, and will bow enough to
pop open above 100 mph.   Geoff Peters threw one or two of them away before
buying one from Sigbjorn in Norway that was properly made.