[DeTomaso] Gearshift linkage disaster

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Nov 9 17:03:02 EST 2008

Brent,

Generally, I would suggest that you should shorten the various links from the
shifter back to the trunnion as much as possible.   That means sliding the
various rods as far into the U-joints as they will go, without causing binding.

(If you slide them all the way until the end of the rod touches the inside of
the U-joint yoke, they will bind).

Doing so will move the end of the rod closer to the trunnion bearing, meaning
that it will move both forward and inward.

With that done, you can then lengthen the turnbuckle, which will enable the
linkage to be hooked up, with the U-joint barely clearing the bodywork.

I'll have to look at mine tomorrow when I get home and see how it's
arranged....