[DeTomaso] Gearshift linkage disaster

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sun Nov 9 16:22:11 EST 2008

In a message dated 11/9/08 1:11:43 PM, bjbstewart at yahoo.com writes:

> Now, what the $%#@ is a turnbuckle and how do i rotate it??  or is there
> something else i'm missing?  I just can't believe cutting the fender-well is
> going to have to be the right answer.  any help / advice much appreciated!

The turnbuckle is the 6" long slightly thicker section between the end of the
shift rod and the center support, and it has jam-nuts on each end that must
first be loosened up. FWIW, its also possible to pound a clearance-recess in
the leading edge of the inner fender panel, if the turnbuckle is too tight to
move. Another possibility is to slightly slot the support's hole in the lower
frame, using a right-angle grinder or drill, and washers. All this stuff is
simple to accomplish.... if the powertrain is out. With the engine in place, all
are difficult. Good luck- J Deryke