[DeTomaso] Engine/ZF pull - instructions & recommendations?

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Wed Nov 5 15:35:05 EST 2008

Note to those recommending pulling the engine along with the ZF: the original
thread was only for ZF removal, but if the engine needs work, I agree- pull
the package. The lift point for the package is approx. at the rear of the
cylinder heads. And if you do this with an adjustable load-leveller, be very sure
you remove the distributor cap before tilting the powertrain during a
single-handed removal. Several people doing this have managed to break the rear window.
Another single-hand-pull owner managed to break a rear window by not removing
his frontmost Webers.
Using bolts in place of the stock ZF mount studs means one doesn't have to
tilt the powertrain hardly at all- something I'd forgotten. since my studs have
been gone so long- with no damage to the cases or loosening from the allens.
For some reason, Jimmie & Roger are reluctant to drive to Nevada to help.....
So working alone, I need all the 'easy steps' I can devise! YMMV- J DeRyke