[DeTomaso] Engine/ZF pull - instructions & recommendations?

ProvaMo.com Pantera007 at provamo.com
Tue Nov 4 21:40:34 EST 2008

I had a short (long!) discussion with Jim Kuehne and Roger Sharp about replacing the
studs with bolts,

and they sort of beat me with a used flywheel!

Apparently I was too busy at "my" (ProvaMo) event Tune Up time II, to listen to their
discussion at the time .

So they gave me the bottom line, which is that there are studs there for a reason.
Contact them for details.

But basically the studs share the tightening torque across both ends (and one side
goes into ~weak aluminum)

with a bolt the tightening torque is only on one end (the aluminum one).

You should be explaining this to me Jack!!!

There were other reasons but for some reason the flywheel impact affected my memory.

And yes the details about guide bolts are not in the pull engine and ZF together
procedure, but are or will be in the Pull the ZF

procedure I am working on now.

Chuck

I do need to update this with some fresh photos (or more photos) but I've not heard of
significant changes in a few years...

Do your instructions say to replace the six stock ZF mount studs with metric allens
for easier transaxle mount removal, and to use a couple of studs with the heads
hacksawed off to guide the bellhousing back in place? Working alone, I've found both
to help considerably. FWIW- J Deryke