[DeTomaso] Pantera Width vs GT4 GT5

Göran Malmberg hemipanter at hemipanter.se
Mon May 26 15:31:16 EDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jason Eaton" <jason.eaton at gmail.com>
Jason.
Goran dont we have to consider the moment force around the CG point
and if so then a wider track would mean more force necessary to unload
the suspension on either side.
First a little correction. CG is creating a force around the "Rc"
by the by the lever arm of  the length CGH-RCH.
Lets say we have a car that weights 2500p, cgh is 16", Tw is 57".
Another Pantera has Gt5 wheels and Tw 61". Both cars cornering
1g.  P1 transfer 740p and P2 655p from one side to the other.
thats ad 4" Tw and 85P  difference.
At the open road race 150mph, as the wind was blowing me around
from the side of the car, I thought it would be nice to not drift across
one lane of traffic at these speeds.
If you for sure know it is the wind (well I its not that I dont believe
what you say) then it must not nessesarly be a Tw problem. A lot
caster is creating a SAI projection point ahead of the footprint centre.
A force from the side will therefore produce a force around SAI
creating a steering effect.
Back to your flinstone car, if
you apply a side force to the passenger door there is some moment
around the driver's side tire and the longer the distance from
driver's side to passenger side the larger force required to push that
flinstone car up onto two wheels.
Right.
If the above is true, then would it not be similar as the car moves
down the road and side loads are applied to the tires because we are
really floating down the road and its hard to prevent instant loading
of the passenger or the drivers side tires, a wider track would be
helpful in those situations as well?
I am a speaker for wide rubber and wide Tw:s. What I am
pointing out is the proportions of the effect. And, what the effect is.
In the straight line high speed buissnies a longer WB is good.
Longer WB will raise the tires capacity to handle yaw motion.
Tw is good for handeling roll motion.

Regards
Goran