[DeTomaso] Pantera Width vs GT4 GT5

michael frazier red3644 at hotmail.com
Mon May 26 14:58:19 EDT 2008

So far I haven't noticed any undesirable handling characteristics with my car in flared form.  This is my 4th
nice Pantera and the first wide body car.  The handling is quicker than the other cars but I suspect it's from
alignment settings (toe settings) rather than car width or wheel offset.  I enjoy it.  It feels like it's awake.
It doesn't dart or pull, you just have to drive it.  I did notice increased cornering abillity or stability in the corners
at Big Bend.  This is not s straight line with minimal cornering, there are 59ish tuns in the last 50 miles.  The
only time I had trouble with off-camber turns and crosswinds was in a narrow car 2 years ago.  That can happen any time.  I'm keeping the 15" 10 spoke Campys as there is no better looking wheel made.  Good tires are now available
for the 10" Campys also if you have a narrow body car.  Whatever you do just paint it flat black to take
advantage of all the aero improvement this provides regardless of body style.
Michael
Gruppo Rompiculi Corsa....cooler, faster, lighter, cleaner, groovier.  FLAT is where it's AT.> From: MikeLDrew at aol.com> Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 21:15:41 -0400> To: jason.eaton at gmail.com> CC: detomaso at realbig.com> Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] Pantera Width vs GT4 GT5> > > In a message dated 5/25/08 17 52 11, jason.eaton at gmail.com writes:> > > > Thanks for the great discussion guys. I really appreciate the thought> > put into the responses.> > > > I would propose that everything done to a Pantera to convert it from its > narrow-body configuration to GT5 or Gr4 specification hurts its performance for > what you are trying to achieve, which is efficient high-speed straight-line > travel with minimal cornering.> > At the time the wide-body cars were invented, manufacturers were only > widening the cars because that was the only way to put adequate quantities of the > primitive rubber of the day underneath them. Cornering power took precedence > over aerodynamic drag, and thus sacrifices were made.> > Today, with the advent of larger-diameter wheels and super-wide tires, you > can have your cake and eat it too, enjoying prodigious cornering power that > comes from these large, modern tires, coupled with the aerodynamic efficiency that > comes from not having all those unnecessary appendages hanging out in the > wind.> > Plus, the radical offset of the front wheels on a widebody car introduces > very undesirable steering characteristics, which are all but absent on a > stock-body car.> > Although it looks pretty tough and butch to have those huge flares hanging > off the sides of the car, I think you're far better off leaving the car alone, > and concentrating on managing airflow through, over and under the car as best > you can.> > Mike > > > **************> Get trade secrets for amazing burgers. Watch "Cooking with > Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.> (http://food.aol.com/tyler-florence?video=4&> ?NCID=aolfod00030000000002)> _______________________________________________> > Detomaso Forum Managed by POCA> > Archive Search Engine Now Available at http://www.realbig.com/detomaso/> > DeTomaso mailing list> DeTomaso at list.realbig.com> http://list.realbig.com/mailman/listinfo/detomaso