[DeTomaso] Autopsy

Will Kooiman wkooiman at earthlink.net
Mon May 19 09:57:53 EDT 2008

I have an upgraded dist shaft.  It isn't twisted.

There was some debris stuck to the inlet to the oil pump (the screen).  I
haven't taken the oil pump apart.

It looks like the camshaft broke when debris wedged between a lobe and the
block.  The intake valve head is still stuck in the camshaft.  That's
probably what did it.

Even if there was a failure with the oiling system, why would it burn the
journal that had 2 rods, but only 1 piston?  The others are overheated, but
I'm guessing that's from getting water in the oil.

My brother said he had looked at the tach and the oil pressure gauge just
before it blew.  He said the tach was just below 5,000 and the oil pressure
was good.

I changed the oil in Ft. Stockton the day before the race.  We put in 8 qts
of either Mobil 1 or Chevron Delo.  I don't remember.  I have an 8qt pan.  I
probably should have put in 10qts, but 8 should have been plenty.

It blew on a straight section of road.

Will.