[DeTomaso] Autopsy

Don Thomas dt at ieee.org
Mon May 19 03:37:05 EDT 2008

Will,

Sorry to hear about your engine...

To me, and I am no expert, but it sounds like the Oil pressure went away, either before or after the initial piston failure.

Did the Oil Pump have any damage??... Was the distributor shaft twisted in anyway?

I was just wondering if a fragment from the failed piston caused the Oil pump to fail... if it did... you might see the shaft to the distributor snap or twist.  Thus causing more damage, like what you described... But again... I am no expert.

But I am not sure that if the oil pump failed... if that could cause a cam shaft to break in half???...

Were there any symptoms or signs leading up to the failure?

-dt