[DeTomaso] water pump replacement

Will Kooiman wkooiman at earthlink.net
Sun May 18 12:11:30 EDT 2008

The other answer is "no".

The water pump is pretty simple.

Remove the old water pump.  (I normally remove the w/p pulley bolts first -
it's easier when there's tension on the belt/pulley.)
Watch the water drain onto your garage floor.
Explain to your wife that those cats will finally stop coming around.
Don't explain how you know this.
Scrape the gasket surfaces really well.  I've never tried the spray-on
gasket removal stuff, but I've heard it works really well.  I normally use a
razor blade and elbow grease.
Install the new water pump with the proper gasket and silicone.
Fill with water - watch for leaks - start it up - watch for leaks - bleed
air - watch for leaks - etc.

I don't think the Edelbrock pump has the warm up passage, so you'll be free
to use a non-351C thermostat.  There's a big round hole in the block facing
forward near the thermostat.  The stock pump has a corresponding hole.  If
the Edelbrock pump does not have that hole, it doesn't have the warm-up
passage.

In my opinion, the hole isn't good nor bad.  It's just that if you have the
warm-up passage, you have to use a 351C thermostat.

Will.