[DeTomaso] Ball joint extraction question

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Fri May 16 00:42:37 EDT 2008

In a message dated 5/15/08 5:17:28 PM, claywillmott at hotmail.com writes:

> Whats the best way to get the upper front ball joints out of the spindle?
> I am trying liquid wrench and a dead blow hammer and it is not working.
> I don't have access to any  complex machinery and I want to take them off,
> put on new ball joints/camber locks without taking the spindle/calipers off.

Complex, expensive tools can sometimes be replaced by brute force and
awkwardness, said my engineering prof, and so it is in this case. An upper ball
joint's tapered shaft is easily released by pounding the SIDE of the upper spindle
lug the ball joint bolts thru. Do NOT hit the end of the tapered shaft. There
are two 'pounding' bosses' cast onto the spindle, about 1/2" diameter visible,
one on each side that will, if hit sufficiently hard, distort the
forged-steel lug enough to release the tapered shaft of a ball joint. Lady-like taps will
only make you tired; hit the sucker firmly with at least a 2-lb hammer! The
only watch-out is, be careful to only hit your target; there's some other stuff
in the usual path that can be seriously bent if you miss. Turning the wheel
to one side or the other will usually give one a clear shot at one or the other
'pounding-boss'. It may take several solid hits to get it right. This also
works on the upper rear ball joints, and the tie-rod ends. Good luck- J DeRyke