[DeTomaso] cleveland oiling

asajay at asajay.com asajay at asajay.com
Thu May 8 12:06:35 EDT 2008

Time for me to throw in my two cents.  ;)

First, I have a lot of photos regarding my last 351C rebuild here:
http://www.351c.info/gallery2/v/asajay/351C_Build_2001/

For oiling, we put in a restrictor kit in the mains, but not in the
lifter gallery.  Sorry, I don't have photos of that.

I put in an MPG windage tray seen here:
http://www.351c.info/gallery2/v/asajay/351C_Build_2001/bottom_end_done.jpg.html

It's hard to see in this photo, but the drivers side lifter gallery
plug has a hole drilled in the center.  My machine shop went through
three drill bits to get the hole done.  This sprays directly onto the
distributor shaft when the dizzy is installed.
http://www.351c.info/gallery2/v/asajay/351C_Build_2001/dizzyoilhole.jpg.html

I originally started with the external oiling line shown in a few
photos on this page:
http://www.351c.info/gallery2/v/asajay/351C_Build_2001/?g2_page=6

But I later decided against that, in favor of plumbing in an oil
accumulator shown in a couple of photos on this page:
http://www.351c.info/gallery2/v/asajay/351C_Build_2001/?g2_page=7

I plumbed this from the tap above the fuel pump on the block, to the
accumulator.  At the accumulator I have essentially a t-fitting that
then travels back to the oil sending unit location where I have
another t-fitting.  So the oil pressure at the port above the fuel
pump feeds both the accumulator and the back of the block as well as
pressurizing the accumulator.

Now, here is the cool part.  The accumulator has an electronic relay
on it, attached to a valve.  With no power, the valve is closed and
will hold the oil pressure in the accumulator.  With the engine cold,
I get in and turn the key ON, which opens the valve and allows the
accumulator to pressurize the whole system, both through the port
above the fuel pump, -and- the port at the back of the block.  I can
actually wait and see the oil pressure gage begin reading pressure.
Then it's time to crank the engine for start.

In my case, I used a two quart accumulator which fits nicely in front
of the radiator support (on the Mach I).  The system takes between two
and three more quarts of oil but it's so nice to pre-lube the system
before start.

Okay, so maybe it was more than two cents, but there you have it.  :)

Asa Jay