[DeTomaso] Paint job cost

Sean Korb spkorb at gmail.com
Sun May 4 22:22:46 EDT 2008

How nice a paint job do you want?  Perfect paint will cost you $10,000 and
up with all the wet sanding in between coats, blocking and such.  Car bodies
wear out too, and imperfections need to be ironed out before paint can be
applied.

I got a really good deal on my paint job.  A guy that has been doing body
work since 1948 did it in his back yard in a cinder block shack.  He didn't
strip it all the way down, but he adjusted major imperfections and laid down
some paint.  It looks pretty good up to about 10 feet, but then some ripples
in the fenders start showing up, and paint stretches over time, so some
parts are going to need attention soon.  And it only cost me $2000.00

Paint is a lot of work, and quality paint takes a lot of time.  I thought a
good way to do this myself to get a $8000 paint job for $2000 would be to
get the $200 spray on special, take it home for wet sanding, take it back,
take it home... about 8 times.  But it sounded like work :)

sean

--
'65, '68 Mustangs, '68 Cougar, '78 R100/7, '59 Austin A35, '71 Pantera #1382
"Computers are useless. They can only give you answers." -P. Picasso