[DeTomaso] Intake manifold tilt

Doug Braun doug at silicondesigns.com
Mon Mar 31 18:07:40 EDT 2008

Ken,

    I modified my Edelbrock F351 (old version of Performer) manifold for a
level carburetor as follows using a Bridgeport mill:

1)  Remove the carb mounting studs and fill the stud holes with J-B Weld.
2)  Jig & clamp the manifold to the mill so its "S" shaped end rail gasket
surfaces are parallel to the mill table.
3)  Mill the minimum amount off the intake's carb mounting surface to remove
its angled surface.  Any machine shop can
     easily do this step for you.
4)  Drill new carb mounting stud holes (they end up being half in the J-B
Weld and Half in the aluminum.
5)  Insert heli-coils in the new stud holes for strength and a stainless
steel thread.
6)  Seal the bottom of one of the stud holes that MUST break through into
one of the runners with fuel proof epoxy.

While my method worked well, its was a lot of work and I can't say it's
necessary to go to all this trouble.  I just didn't
like the idea of the studs being at the wrong angle to mount the carb. I
also didn't want the look of an angled
spacer.  I like to keep things looking as stock looking as possible.

Doug Braun
blue 73L #5505