[DeTomaso] Stage 1 - Complete!

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Mar 31 16:19:21 EDT 2008

In a message dated 3/30/08 15 45 13, ea2010 at yahoo.com writes:

> 1. regarding the temp I was running ... it appears that - once warm - my
> cat like to run just a sliver under 200F. I did punch it from 80 MPH to around
> 110 MPH on a few occasions (I couldn't help myself!) in which case the temp
> would rise just a sliver OVER 200F. But, all in all, I would say the car likes
> to run at 200F. I am wondering if this is a normal temp to expect?
>
>>>That is just about ideal.   The critical thing is to see what temp the car
runs when stationary.   You've already demonstrated that the cooling system
is capable of keeping temps where they should be when subjected to airflow
while underway.   If the temps are noticeably higher when you are stuck in traffic
for a long time, the problem is the radiator fans--not the other components
in the system.

My car, like yours, runs around 200 degrees under all circumstances.   I did
find that on extended high-speed runs through the desert (120 mph or so), the
water temp would rise, then stabilize at about 230.   I think fitting a front
air dam will have helped that situation, and I will also see about fitting
some additional ducting if I can see any areas where airflow is being potentially
lost (such as blocking off the holes in the bottom of the valance).

> 2. RPM's ... my cousin and I both seemed to think the car was running at
> higher RPM's than indicated: 2000 at 65 MPH, 2200 at 75 MPH and 2500 (dead on)
> at 80 MPH. Without down-shifting, I was able to go from 80 to 100 MPH in 5th
> without much pressure on the accelerator - immediate responsiveness. I am
> thinking of getting the Tach tested and possibly re-calibrated. Would you agree?
>
>>>Unless somebody has seriously revamped your gearbox, I would agree, your
tach seems to be reading low.

> 3. speed ... at 90 MPH on the speedo, my hand-held GPS showed a speed of 81
> MPH. I realize that the tires I am running (245/45 front and 335/35 rear on
> 17" wheels) are one reason for the discrepancy; however, should the speed be
> off by that much?
>
>>>That sounds normal.   My speedometer also reads about 8 mph high at
highway speeds, with 305/50-15 rear tires, but I think the odometer is almost
spot-on.