[DeTomaso] u joint broken

Jim Hendrickson chendric at bellsouth.net
Mon Mar 31 12:13:29 EDT 2008

Last time I checked, the OEM joints cost $40-$120 each, depending on what
type you wanted. Surprisingly, the high dollar ones were the ones with no
grease zerks. Racers like them because they seem to be stronger than the
ones with the grease zerks.

There was an extensive discussion about half shafts and U-joints on this
list a couple of years ago. There are some OEM half shafts out there that
have been bored and sleeved to accept the Spicer U-joints or some Ford truck
U-joint. That was one of the solutions from the days when OEM joints were
hard to get.

I did end up buying the Spicers because I had a number of bearing cups
spinning in the yokes. Apparently the yokes were bored over-size by the
manufacturer. The caps would spin freely. There were no gall marks. The
bores in the yokes were clean - you could even see the swirl marks where
they had retracted the boring bar with the spindle running. It seems that a
number of cars had the over size yoke bores.