[DeTomaso] u joint broken

Christopher Kimball chrisvkimball at msn.com
Mon Mar 31 14:23:03 EDT 2008

FWIW:  I just replaced all four of my stock '72 u-joints and paid $50 each from Wilkinson.

Chris
#3846> To: MikeLDrew at aol.com; Edracers at aol.com; detomaso at realbig.com> Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 14:09:52 +0200> From: charlesmccall at gmail.com> Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] u joint broken> > > >     I just found out that my driver's side outer u  joint is broken. Do I> > have to go to a Pantera parts house to get one or are  their standard u > > joints> > that I could obtain at a local auto parts store?> > Thanks for any information.> > > > It's a Pantera-specific part, but thankfully now they are pretty cheap.> > Don't let anybody sucker you into paying hundreds of dollars for 'heavy> duty' > Spicer driveshafts. There was never anything wrong with the stock > driveshafts; it was just the U-joints that were a known weak link. For a> long time, > replacement U-joints cost a fortune and it was cheaper to just replace the > entire driveshaft. That is no longer true.> > Plan on replacing ALL of them at the same time. > ****Nope, it isn't a Pantera specific part. It is a part to a driveshaft to> an Alfa Romeo. Halfshafts are other animals, but u-joints are not Pantera> specific. I found mine manufactured by GKN, and ordered directly from their> distributor. > > Mike is right in that you'll want to change all 4. Otherwise they'll break> one at a time meaning you change them one at a time! :-)> > > > _______________________________________________> > Detomaso Forum Managed by POCA> > Archive Search Engine Now Available at http://www.realbig.com/detomaso/> > DeTomaso mailing list> DeTomaso at list.realbig.com> http://list.realbig.com/mailman/listinfo/detomaso