[DeTomaso] Desperate need for...

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sat Mar 29 14:18:16 EDT 2008

In a message dated 3/29/08 10:04:54 AM, red3644 at hotmail.com writes:

> I also noticed that the yoke under the nut seemed to have a little play
> between the splines on the yoke and the axle...is that OK?

Too much clearance here will give you a thunk when changing gears and may
cause a vibration when accelerating hard. It can come from wear of the parts or
from looseness in the assembly -especially if you've had the axles commercially
converted to tapered rollers by some vendors. If the stock ball bearings are
still there but the separating spacer between the bearing races inside is too
short, even tightening the nut to 1000 ft-lbs won't take up all the slack
'cause the yoke splines can bottom in the axle splines which are not full length.
First, get the nut off.... Good luck- J Deryke