[DeTomaso] Desperate need for...now Rear Uprights

michael frazier red3644 at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 30 01:12:35 EDT 2008

OK, here is what I found on this set up.  I got the nuts off and Will Kooiman is sending me a socket I'll need
to put it all back together.  The uprights have been modified (at Pantera Preformance I suppose since the car has
a ton of PPC stickered upgrade parts) with the greaseable lower pivot shaft with new inserts and sliding tubes and shafts...very nice.   It also has been modified with extended studs and Wilwood brake hats so the rotors fit outside of the axle flange and come right off.  The axles have been built up and remachined for a tighter fit on the inside bearing which fit too loose on the original axles.  Here is where two problems cropped up.  First, the increased diameter section of the  axle shaft continued all the way down to the area of the splines and in fact did not allow the yoke to go down far enough to make good contact with the spacer and put sufficient pressure on the bearings.  That's where the the play in the yoke came from.  The next issue came up while I was pressing the axles out.  With the rotors off it was easy brace the upright in the press using the caliper  mounting flanges as support.  But!  the out side bearings near the axle flange fit too tight and would not release at all.  I actually bent the outer bearing retainer plate before I realized what was going on.  I now need one of  those 4 holed flat plated if anyone has one sitting around.  I was able to remove the screws on the other one  before pressing it out.  The bearings are still tight on the axles and I couldn't get them to budge.  I'll take them to one of the local bearing shops and let a pro deal with those.  That's where I'm now.
Less than a month to go till Big Bend and a disassembled Pantera.  If anyone has one of the outside bearing retainer
plates I could really use one right now.  Thanks.
Michael
Gruppo Rompiculi Corsa Y'all

From: JDeRyke at aol.comDate: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 14:18:16 -0400Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] Desperate need for...To: red3644 at hotmail.com; detomaso at realbig.comIn a message dated 3/29/08 10:04:54 AM, red3644 at hotmail.com writes:
I also noticed that the yoke under the nut seemed to have a little play between the splines on the yoke and the axle...is that OK?  Too much clearance here will give you a thunk when changing gears and may cause a vibration when accelerating hard. It can come from wear of the parts or from looseness in the assembly -especially if you've had the axles commercially converted to tapered rollers by some vendors. If the stock ball bearings are still there but the separating spacer between the bearing races inside is too short, even tightening the nut to 1000 ft-lbs won't take up all the slack 'cause the yoke splines can bottom in the axle splines which are not full length. First, get the nut off.... Good luck- J Deryke**************Create a Home Theater Like the Pros. Watch the video on AOL Home.(http://home.aol.com/diy/home-improvement-eric-stromer?video=15&ncid=aolhom00030000000001)