[DeTomaso] Mushy brakes

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sat Mar 15 15:24:09 EDT 2008

In a message dated 3/14/08 12:16:41 PM, panteradon at gmail.com writes:

> We have rebuilt all the wheel cylinders and put new pads on.  I still have
> very mushy brakes.  Is there anything else to do other than the master
> cylinder?
>
> If I need to replace the master cylinder, what are your recommendations?  I
> only drive on the street.

Be extremely sure all the bleeder screws are pointed up; having only one
screw pointed down will prevent air removal and give mushiness. Possibly, the
master cylinder is bypassing pressure. There are no reliable rebuild kits, so
new/stock is your first choice.   And thanks to our lawyers, Bendix-Italia will
not sell only the master cylinder; total replacement is the only option if you
want stock. I personally like the GM conversion system sold by the Byars. It is
also a total bolt-in, is slightly larger than stock for a bit more braking,
and actually costs a little less than a stock replacement. The GM master
cylinder is hard-anodized aluminum for more corrosion protection than stock cast
iron. Finally, consider changing all the brake hoses, too; nothing lasts forever
and they do soften with age and smog. Then under braking pressure, they swell,
giving a soft pedal. Good luck- J Deryke