[DeTomaso] Frozen Trunion Shaft

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sat Mar 8 21:52:34 EST 2008

The part that's 'frozen' is the inner spacer, corroded to the long shaft and
possibly to the cast upright. Sawzall-ing the ends off the shaft on both ends
is the only way to free it. This was so common in the late '80s/early '90s,
that Hall once sold a kit of the parts you'd need, including the shaft, the
spacer, the cups and the thrust washers that will be destroyed in the cutting.
Nowadays, I think other vendors sell such. Using larger & larger presses will
only crack the upright. Incidently, once the shaft is cut out, don't be surprised
if even after removal, the shaft and inner spacer won't press apart without
long & extensive soaking. Which really isn't worth it since the hardened-steel
inner spacer will undoubtably be horribly pitted, and it runs inside two
bronze bushings that are probably also ruined and will need replacing. Be sure to
check the OTHER upright, too....

Nowadays, we realize that regular inspection and greasing of these things is
the only remedy, and the stock method was total disassembly and hand-packing
every decade or so. A grease fitting somewhere to deliver fresh grease to the
long shaft and the inner spacer is the only way to counteract
condensation-corrosion inside the uprights. Good luck- J Deryke