[DeTomaso] Putting a small block Chevrolet in a 1973 pantera

Peter Kovacs peter-kovacs at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 4 13:49:25 EST 2008

Thats what I wanted to hear. Smooth idle, wicked power, fuel efficient, and sounds awesome under boost at WOT.....in my unbiased opinion. LOL

Dave Doddek <pantera at pobox.com> wrote:  To me, the obvious choice is the Ford 4.6. You can get a used Mark VIII
engine for under $500. New cams, a stroker kit, a new intake and some head
porting and you get an easy 500HP engine that will turn 8500 rpm and still
get good MPGs. It works well with the Pantera high gearing, it bolts up
the the zf as is, you can buy ready made headers motormounts and piping,
and you get a flat bulkhead. If you supercharge you can push over 1000
reliable HP while still using the Mark VIII block and heads. People claim
that these engines dont have any torque, but when programmed with an
aftermarket EFI system, they actually have good torque. Besides, with an
8500 rpm redline, who needs tons of torque. If someone would just build
180 headers, this engine would sound awsome.

Dave "Just dont swap in a Toyota: D