[DeTomaso] Putting a small block Chevrolet in a 1973 pantera

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Mar 3 00:58:31 EST 2008

In a message dated 3/2/08 10 36 46, bwerner at live.com writes:

> I need help!! I want to put a small block Chevrolet in my pantera.

All the help in the world can be found by using your Yellow Pages; look under
'mental health'. :>)

And that's not said from a jingoistic Ford vs. Chevy position, either, but
rather from a purely practical perspective.   It is a LOT of work to adapt a
small block Chevy into a Pantera, much more than you would imagine, and at the
end of the day, you will discover that it is also a LOT more expensive than
simply installing some other type of Ford, or building a nice 351C.

I actually have some peripheral first-hand experience, as I played a small
role in helping a PCNC member (Doug Abadie) convert his otherwise very stock '72
Pre-L over to Chevy power last year.   He did so purely for practical
reasons; he had just finished driving his '85 Corvette over a cliff, and that car had
been equipped with an absolutely dynamite all-aluminum 418 cubic inch Donovan
small-block Chevy, that would cost a fortune to reproduce, yet had very
little monetary value as a used motor.   With the Corvette reduced to splinters,
and leaving its excellent engine sitting on a stand, it seemed reasonable to try
to incorporate it into the Pantera.

Ultimately he was very successful but the job took the better part of a year
to accomplish.   I spoke to him about it (that is, about your query) tonight
and he was fairly adamant that if somebody didn't already have a free,
super-duper small-block Chevy sitting in the garage, that he would *highly* discourage
such an installation, when there are so many Ford solutions that are simpler,
and ultimately cheaper.

He's going to e-mail you privately, and will be happy to help if you should
still elect to go down this path, but I think he will try to convince you to
forget about the slightly lower up-front costs of a small block Chevy, and
instead take a hard look at the big picture, to include the vastly greater expense
of getting the project finished, relative to a Ford solution.

Again, this isn't a religious argument, but rather one based purely on
function, cost and practicality....