[DeTomaso] Timing Problem

Art Stephens artstephens at charter.net
Sat Mar 1 16:35:20 EST 2008

     I adjusted my right side, (1-4), valves on my hydraulic roller cam engine with adjustable roller rockers.  I had the distributor cap and wires off during the project.  Now my timing is all screwed up.  My timing light shows that I am way retarded and the engine now runs bad where it ran smooth before the work.  I am stumped!  I didn't touch the distributor adjustment.  I have the MSD adjustable timing control.  I thought I had the distributor set a 16 degrees BTDC.  That is not what I am seeing.  The light shows 10 -15 degrees ATDC?  With the engine not running,  the rotor is pointing to the #1 terminal on the cap as the balancer shows 0 degrees advance.  I disabled the adjustable timing control to see if it was the problem and I saw no improvement.  I am going to go get a plastic straw and stick it down the #1 cylinder and see what the timing mark on the balancer shows with the piston at TDC.  I took the Duraspark II distributor apart and could find no problems.  The distributor gear appears to be pinned in its proper place.  Spark plug wires all appear to be going to the correct cylinders.  I thought it must have been something stupid I did,  but I can't figure it out.  It has a new harmonic balancer.  The only thing I can think of is that maybe one of the timing gears has moved on its shaft?  Help!

Art