[DeTomaso] Speedometer cable frayed

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Mar 3 01:22:47 EST 2008

In a message dated 3/1/08 13 12 0, tbaranek at earthlink.net writes:

> My speedometer cable (1973 L) frayed at the ZF connector.  The male (one
> inch long square piece)came apart from the rest of the cable.
>
>>>Ah, bummer.   It's possible that a good speedo shop could just supply a
new cable that you could route through your old housing, but it's probably not a
good idea, and as new speedo cables aren't very expensive, you might as well
just replace it.

> Is this a do it yourself?  It looks like it routes through some complicated
> parts of the car.  Can I attach a new one (vendor please) to the old one and
> pull/snake the new one into place?
>
>>>Yes--but you will still have to take substantial parts of the interior
apart.   Specifically, the upholstered back panel will have to come out, and the
center console will either have to be removed entirely or at least lifted up.
 Routing the cable is simple enough; you could try to tie the new one to the
old one, but it's really not necessary, as the routing is quite
straightforward.