[DeTomaso] Late "L" model (#7102) A/C wiring

Larry Weston lplugw at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 30 11:21:49 EDT 2008

According to any and all wiring information I can find for late "L" models, the rotary a/c control (shown on the diagram as "anti icing switch") has three wires terminating on it. A brown, (power from fuse 7), a blue/black, (which energizes the condenser fan relay full time) and a white/black (which thermostatically cycles the A/C compressor clutch).

My rotary switch has only two wires on it, the brown and the blue/black along with a long thin aluminum tube that disappears into the heater box. The white/black wire that's supposed to energize the compressor relay terminates at a terminal with a yellow wire I see at one end of a relay looking thing secured to the passenger end of the heater box with a sheetmetal screw and an offset metal tab. A Pair of black wires (maybe one is dark blue) terminate at a common terminal on the other end of this thing. The yellow and the the two black wires enter a sheath that that disappears behind the heater box. I cannot see where they actually end up.

The condenser fan related stuff seems to work fine.

No matter what I do I cannot get power at the white/black to energize the A/C clutch relay.

This extra component looks like it was mounted on the heater box at the factory. It would require a lot of work to put it where it is after the car was assembled. I certainly would've found somewhere else.

On the bottom of this relay looking thing I can make out reference to 8 amps and 9 ohms. It only appears to have two spade terminals on it, one at each end, both of which have those little adapters allowing two wires to terminate on one spade.

I looked at the TSB's, The Pantera Place Wiring Diagram archives and SOBills circuit excerpts. I cannot find this added component on any of them.

#7102, I think, was within just a hundred or so of the end of the Ford era.

Does any one know of or have any diagrams of perhaps a late production modification to the circuit controlling the A/C clutch relay?

Thanks,

Larry.