[DeTomaso] FUEL TANK VENT / Dick Ruzzin

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sun Jun 29 14:06:03 EDT 2008

In a message dated 6/29/08 4:53:13 AM, Dickruzzindesign at aol.com writes:

> Is there a fuel vent pipe one way valve on Pantries?

Not on '71-74s. On '79-up cars, due to new European requirements for rollover
protection, the factory released an assembly using a one-way ball check that
adapts at great expense to earlier tanks. Or, the vendors sell a small nylon
one for $30 or so sourced from some other Ford product that substitutes for the
stock vent. A stock Pantera steel vent is pop-rivited to the tank, and when
you drill out the rivits, you find the tank holes are tapped. So 3 short metric
screws and a vendor-supplied vent/check valve and we're in business. If doing
this, you must change the diameter of the vent hose going (in our cars) to a
charcoal cannister; a stock hose is about 3 sizes too big. I deleted the worn
out cannister and ran a new hose directly to the air cleaner base using a
small Fram filter designed for this. With your contacts, you should be able to
find an OEM valve that fits the 'Goose tank- or can be redrilled to fit. Good
luck- J Deryke