[DeTomaso] Rear Brakes Install

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sat Jun 28 15:38:37 EDT 2008

In a message dated 6/28/08 11:03:06 AM, seanmundy at hotmail.com writes:

> I have my rear brake calipers off and now can't get them back on.  I can't
> spread the pads enough to fit back over the disk.  I tried turning the rear
> brake caliper piston left and also right but it doesnt seem to be moving in or
> out.  What's the trick here?

Don't turn those rear pistons too far: the correct angle is only 45 degrees
to release the clevis. And unless you took the piston/adjuster cartridge out
and cleaned it and the bore with scotch-brite, there may be varnish that's
preventing the assembly from moving in enough. If things are working correctly, the
piston will retract flush with the caliper casting. Often, a c-clamp is used
to force a piston back on sticky assemblies but better is to take it apart and
find out why its sticky... Good luck- J Deryke