[DeTomaso] Rear Brakes Install

sean mundy seanmundy at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 28 15:37:16 EDT 2008

thanks Chris. What happened is my i was trying to see if my rear caliper was
working.  With the caliper removed I put a piece of wood between the pads
that was thinner than the disk.  I then pressed the brake pedal and checked
that the piece of wood was being clamped.  It was.  I was able to remove the
wood from between the pads but now the pads are too close together to fit
over the disk..  I tried pushing the pads apart with various levers and
clamps but they aint moving.  I also opened up the bleed valve on the
caliper thinking that would help.  I have a VW and you have to turn the
caliper piston with a special tool  to move the piston back into the caliper
when you install new pads.  The Pantera piston looks like it does the same
thing because there is a groove in the piston face that looks like its there
for this reason to be able to turn it.  Its a perfect weekend in the Pacific
NW and I'm stuck in the garage!!!!!