[DeTomaso] Ignition truble

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Jun 12 22:44:49 EDT 2008

In a message dated 6/12/08 4:21:36 PM, mike.vallee at yahoo.com writes:
snip.....
> If I need to go back and reinstall a new steel gear I will. I don't want to
> go through the same problem
> again.

Thats a good move. FWIW, there are also various hardness of bronze gears from
different mfgrs, but they all wear rapidly compared to an iron stocker.
Figure 2-3000 miles maximum before timing variations and other troubles show up
with even the best bronze gear. Another possibility is to call your cam mfgr and
tell him what you need; some steel cams are made with a pressed-on cast iron
drive gear, so a stock distributor gear will work. Personally, I've not found
it necessary yet to go to a steel cam so my 1972 distributor gear is still in
there (on a 460 electronic distributor). Good luck- J Deryke