[DeTomaso] Ignition truble

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Jun 12 22:58:19 EDT 2008

In a message dated 6/12/08 4:32:23 PM, kenn_green at yahoo.com writes:

> I think someone posted a mod which was drilling a small hole into a local
> oil gallery to spray oil on the gears?  Maybe that helps?

There's already a small passage horizontally out of the #1 cam bearing that
is pointed right at the gear mesh. But an 0.040" dia hole thru the appropriate
oil gallery plug, slanted at the gear mesh, might help a little, especially if
the stock passage is plugged. The stock oiling passage is inaccessible unless
the #1 cam bearing is removed and you know where to look, and I've had to use
metal drills to remove the hard varnish plugging oil passages in some blocks.
A hot-block cleaner won't touch this stuff. Lots of shops hate to disturb cam
bearings in a Cleveland 'cause the cam sometimes won't fit back in after
replacing bearings, unless you do some extra work. Not difficult work, just
tedious. Good luck-J Deryke