[DeTomaso] FW: Dynamat! and Stethosocpes

Steve Hawkins shawkins777 at comcast.net
Mon Jun 9 22:08:15 EDT 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Barkley [mailto:rlbpantera at earthlink.net]
Sent: Monday, June 09, 2008 8:29 PM
To: Thomas Tornblom; Göran Malmberg
Cc: Detomaso List
Subject: Re: Dynamat! and Stethosocpes

Thomas,

Yes, that would be me. I couldn't find the original Mar. 3, 1999 post in the
archives but, strangely Jack DeRyke's reply cautioning about my plan to fill
a short section of the structural tube that goes over the door and back into
the roof section over the engine bay. In that section I don't believe that
there is any problem with potential rust especially if the stethoscope holes
are covered. I agree with him that it would be a mistake to put foam in the
rocker panels.
http://realbig.com/detomaso/1999-03/123.html
You can see pictures of the area here (after I covered the external opening
with Dynamat:
http://home.earthlink.net/~rlbpantera/catpix2/index.html
And a brief mention of them in my Profiles article here (search for
stethoscope)
http://home.earthlink.net/~rlbpantera/catpix3/RichardStory2.pdf
I also found some in the front of the passenger compartment (so you can
listen to your tires).
http://realbig.com/detomaso/1999-03/397.html

I've said it before the rocker panels are probably the second leading source
of noise (after the firewall) in the cabin.
http://realbig.com/pipermail/detomaso/2002-November/019043.html
I put a layer of Dynamat on the rockers in the cabin and also in the engine
compartment. I should have put more (see link). Also be sure you seal (the
tar like stuff that comes in thin strips works well, and auto paint store
should have it) where any hoses go in/out (maybe it's just the early cars
but Zonkey has A/C and electrical running in the passenger side rocker. I'd
cut a 1" hole in the passenger side rocker in it's engine side end so I
could get some brushes in there to clean it out. I forgot to cover it up.
Just that hole (but with Dynamat along the whole length) it sounded like the
engine was in the front of the car when cruiseing on the freeway.

Richard