[DeTomaso] Wanted, 71 or 72, Which To Buy?

clay willmott claywillmott at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 30 20:54:13 EDT 2008

I went to check my 5th gear (I have an early 71 #1343) and the plate states 0.84 despite the RBT site for a Dash-1 stating .705.   Are there several different models or styles by date for the Dash-1 family and what is the Dash-0?  Lloyd did say that a decent Dash-1 was worth 8-9 grand and that they were sturdier than the Dash-2 models though.
I don't think you can buy the taller 5th gear for these early gear boxes or if you can it is not as simple as you might think.  I was told it may be cheaper to swap for a Dash-2 than to try to change only one gear.  I looked at changing the final drive ratio but was afraid it would drastically affect take off unless I put in a massive stroker.  Anyone changed final drive with a normal engine and been happy with it?
The main issue with early 71 cars I have experienced is when you order parts for a 71 they may not fit. For example you can't put camber locks on the front without a lot of changing things up as early 71 models do not accept shims and glass/trim pieces are hard to come by.  However, at Wilkinsons or Quella's if you tell them exactly what car you have they are very good about knowing all these little details.

Clay