[DeTomaso] Wanted, 71 or 72, Which To Buy?

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Jul 30 18:48:23 EDT 2008

In a message dated 7/30/08 15 38 58, michael at michaelshortt.com writes:

> I'm #1660, 1971 June, I have the Al gas tank and as far as I know 4:22
> rear.
> Flat Deck lid and 3 air vents in the center of the dash ( I find that seems
> to vary )

The issue with the earlier gearboxes wasn't the rear end ratio--that was 4:22
on all of them.   But the first Panteras were equipped with leftover Mangusta
gearboxes that were re-rigged for use in the Pantera, and had much shorter
gearing.   4th and 5th gear in particular was considerably shorter, limiting top
speed at redline to only 130 mph or so.