[DeTomaso] Axles and rotors and bearings. . . oh my

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat Jul 26 21:22:23 EDT 2008

In a message dated 7/25/08 9 07 23, asajay at asajay.com writes:

> My next decision is what bearing option to use for replacements.  I
> don't wish to machine the uprights in any fashion.  One option is
> something Steve Wilkinison told me he supplies, which is a new tapered
> roller bearing for the inboard side (I think) and requires machining
> the sleeve a half in shorter, but no machining of the upright itself.
> This seems to appear to me, but I'd like to get some opinions first.
>
> What are my bearing options if I don't want to machine the upright?

Wilkinson's bearing isn't tapered, as far as I know.   Instead it's the
so-called "GTS" bearing, which is simply a double-roller bearing.   Think two
standard inner wheel bearings sandwiched in one bearing case.

The only thing necessary to install this is to shorten the spacer between the
bearings, by the additional thickness of the new vs. old bearing.   The
actual dimension of the spacer really isn't that critical, but the faces must be
absolutely square.