[DeTomaso] Axles and rotors and bearings. . . oh my

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sat Jul 26 00:38:14 EDT 2008

In a message dated 7/25/08 10:50:54 AM, asajay at asajay.com writes:

> Thank you for the specs.  I'm not sure my micrometer goes to that digit,
> but I'll find out tonight...

If you find a machine shop that has a 1-2" mike' that reads to 5 places,
maybe you could bring the axles to them to be checked, possibly for free. It's a
pretty specialized instrument. Otherwise, approximate it with your fingernail:
run it down over the wear areas. If your nail catches at all, the wear exceeds
0.001" and you're looking to have the axles rewelded or hard-plated, then
remachined. or some billet axles, which are much stronger.
You might get lucky with a bearing vendor. One young lady I know with a
Pantera took her axles down to the bearing store wearing "summer clothing" and the
counter guys were only too happy to spend an hour opening bearing boxes to
select-fit two pair of bearings to her factory-undersized but unworn axles so she
didn't need to redo them for the required press fit. Bearings have
tolerances, too..... and sometimes life ain't fair. Good luck- J DeRyke