[DeTomaso] ZF Drip

Mike Thomas mbefthomas at comcast.net
Sat Jul 19 12:58:48 EDT 2008

Last year when I had the motor rebuilt and had the ZF out, I pulled the
bottom plate to check for safety wiring, and with a couple of new paper
gaskets from one of the vendors, replaced the plate.  Since then I have had
a slow seepage (one or two drops per month) from one of the plate bolts near
the long cross bolts until about a month ago.

Now, especially after a drive when things are warmed up, I'll have a spot
about 2" across on the garage floor the next morning.  I've checked the
torque on the plate and long bolts, and they are fine.  I recall getting a
reply last year when I expressed initial concern about the seepage that once
the paper gaskets start to leak, there is no cure save replacing them, which
means pulling the ZF as the long bolts cannot be removed while the trans is
in the car.

Any thoughts/comments here from the forum.  I'll check the fluid level more
often, but looks like I'll have to pull the ZF this fall and replace the
gaskets again.

Mike Thomas
Panteras Northwest